November 12, 2010

Out of the Ashes We Rise - Part I

Image by Fotolia
Summary: Parenting children with special needs is an incredibly difficult task. The dilemmas families encounter often require gut-retching choices which can leave even the best of families scarred for life.  Yet springing up from the ashes of such heartache, a powerful message of divine restoration can be realized by those willing to receive divine instruction.
***************
Paul Keller terrorized Seattle during the 1990’s with a series of baffling arsons. During late 1992 and early 1993, Keller set fire to more than 100 structures resulting in the death of three people and causing more than $35 million in property damage.[1] He was responsible for the most extensive, expensive and terrifying arson spree in the history of this country.[2]

According to psychiatric experts, Paul was “‘a perfect clinical picture of ADHD’ – impulsive, aggressive, distractible, restless, angry, socially awkward, and out of control.  He was intelligent, yet an academic failure with low self-esteem and a low tolerance for stress. But Keller also had a learning disability, conduct disorder, and a ‘narcissistic’ personality disorder, which many experts felt may have been related to ADHD and a birth trauma.”[3]

Experts consider Paul Keller a particularly troubling example of the estimated one-third of ADHD kids whose impulsive, uncontrolled and defiant behaviors make them susceptible to criminal activities.[4] Given his ADHD, his ongoing fascination with the fire service, his alcoholism, and many other challenges, Paul was doomed to be a serial arsonist.

Raising a child with ADHD was like a living hell for the Keller family day in and day out. “It was chronic pandemonium,” his mother once told reporters. “Paul just did not seem to have the ability to learn from past mistakes and did not understand the consequences.”[5]

Paul started his first fire in an abandoned home at the age of eight. Being fascinated with fire, he befriended local firefighters. At twelve, he was forced at gunpoint to perform sexual acts with a volunteer firefighter he had come to trust. The abuse lasted for two years.[6]

At age twenty-eight, following his divorce and the loss of his job, Paul began an arson spree, unlike anything local firefighters had ever seen. Paul set fire to churches, stores, houses, and other structures in four Washington state counties.[7] He struck in the early morning hours after the bars closed, often setting a series of fires just to watch firefighters struggle to deal with several fires at once. In 1993, Paul torched the Four Freedoms Retirement home in North Seattle, resulting in the death of three elderly residents.[8]

The arson spree became national news but authorities remained stumped. “America’s Most Wanted” broadcast a TV segment about the crimes hoping to generate leads.  A task force of investigators from 27 different local, state, and federal agencies was formed exclusively to find the arsonist. Investigators released a profile of the criminal which Paul’s father recognized.[9]

George and Margaret Keller then faced one of the most difficult moral dilemmas any parent could possibly face. George made his decision then confronted his son. Early the morning of February 6, 1993, Keller Sr. spent more than five hours listening to his son’s confession then agonized as he drove his son past the sites of the various fires while Paul described his criminal actions.[10] Compelled by conscious, George contacted the arson task force and provided details about his son’s activities giving authorities the break in the case they needed. Paul Keller was arrested eight days later.

In 1993, Paul was sentenced to 99 years at Clallam Bay Corrections Center in Walla Walla, WA, a maximum-security prison for the criminally insane. Authorities believe Paul is linked to dozens of other fires and arson deaths which he has yet to confess to. Paul will spend the rest of his life in prison. To this day, he still does not understand why he is behind bars.[11]

When news of Paul’s arrest hit the newsstands, the Keller’s lives became like a modern-day version of the biblical “Job” story. Over the next two years, the Kellers literally lost everything: a lucrative advertising business, an impressive financial portfolio, a country club mansion, and stellar reputations within the community. They suffered physical and mental health problems. Following Paul’s conviction for the fire that gutted the Lutheran Trinity Church, the Keller’s home church for years, the family was asked to leave. Even local businesses at that time refused to provide basic services to the family.

Given such a public trial, the nation was hungry for the inside scoop. Brian Halquist Productions, Inc. produced an award-winning documentary entitled, “Portrait of a Serial Arsonist: The Paul Keller Story.” The show aired on Seattle’s NBC affiliate, KING-TV. Even NBC’s “Dateline” did a segment on the Keller family.[12] Halquist later obtained the story rights and co-produced the CBS movie, “Not Our Son” airing on January 31, 1995.[13]

In the midst of indescribable suffering, God was working among His people. On January 23, 1995, out of the ashes of a tragedy caused by his own son, George Keller was asked to be the guest of honor at the dedication of a brand new $4.1 million Lutheran Trinity Church. Mr. Keller wept as he recounted being overwhelmed with sorrow and pain as he learned his son had destroyed the old church building where the family had worshipped.

Addressing those assembled for the dedication, George said, “Even though I cry today, I have great joy. You people are wonderful. You are a shining inspiration. The congregation’s ability to stay together through difficult times and its commitment to rebuild this church serves as an inspiration to many other victims of my son, Paul, and his terrible arson spree. Thanks for the extraordinary love and compassion you have shown to me, my family and my son. God bless this church."[14]

Please see “Out of the Ashes We Rise – Part II” for the rest of this remarkable story.

If you have or know of someone who has an ADHD child, please visit these sites for information and support:

For information on “Coming to terms with a special needs child” click here. http://christianadhd.com/parent1.php

For additional information on Paul Keller’s story click here:
http://www.johnmcleanmedia.com/items/DOC/5550porserar.html

For information on the Keller's current ministry activities, visit "George Keller Ministries" on Facebook. 

References



10 comments:

  1. God bless your family. Jesus knows exactly what you have gone through. Remember Judas walked with Him & did evil at the same time. You are great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sobbing as I write this. As the mother of a 6 year old boy with ADHD and a husband with narcissistic personality disorder I can so easily identify with the Kellers. I feel so helpless and terrified for my loving and sweet but also destructive and impulsive boy..is this what his future holds? Is this what my future holds? Paul had the benefit of a strong, loving father where mine has what I would call a selfish self-centered, self-serving monster of a father. Your faith in our God is amazing and mine continues to strengthen daily. I know exactly what you meant when you said some prayers are groans. I have prayed those prayers. I pray for you and your family. Your pain as I'm sure you realize although not your chosen path, has and will serve a greater purpose for others. God be with you as I pray He is with me and mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Margaret. I am a Christian man of 56 yrs old. I used to not be such a nice guy myself. Jesus turned my life around and I have been riding with a club called "Bikers For Christ" for about 20 years now. A lot of people who enter the correction system do turn there lives to Jesus as they realize they have hit rock bottom. So you and will keep praying for your son Paul.
    I'm so sorry to hear your George passed although I am very sure he is waiting patiently for you. When you shared that God lifted your burden suddenly one morning unexpectedly after 13 LONG years, that touched my heart to the point of tears.
    Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Those whom abandoned you, are fools, I give you praise and honor because you and your husband other son and daughter gave all the glory to Jesus. As hard as it was. You did the right thing.
    May His Face continue to shine upon you & bring you many blessings.
    Your family are a true example of, what it means to be tested, and when you all get to heaven, I believe Jesus will say "Well done my faithful servant"
    Thanks again. Mark Rush. AKA SHADY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched their story tonight on youtube. I was so inspired by these godly people, I had to get my father to come in and watch it with me. Heartbreaking, yet absolutely astounding to watch them remain steadfast in their faith, despite the suffering they endured at the hands of their disturbed son. I very much doubt that one could ask for better parents, and I believe that went beyond the call of duty in regards to how they raised and loved their children. Boy, what a trial they were put through. I wonder do they realise/recognize the inspiration they are to others? I was so touched and moved by them as human beings, Christians, and their testimony, that it was difficult to hold onto my own emotions. These are very special people and I know their cross has not been in vain. Oneday, everything will be made known to them, but for now they simply continue to trust and love their Lord and saviour. I know without a doubt they have not ceased loving and praying for their sick and troubled son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seen your story on ID Investigation. It so touched my heart. You two have inspired me & lifted my heart. When Margaret spoke of after 13 years of living with anxiety and depression the Lord lifted all that from you one morning, Gave me hope...You two foods the right thing. May God bless you both! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a way to write Margaret and George Keller. Their story and faith truly blessed me. I do not have the exact story as my children are not special needs but I so identified with the pain and guilt I saw on Mr. Keller's face during the program. Jesus has given me peace that surpasses understanding as well. I could identify so much with Mrs. Keller when she said she woke up one day and it was like a load had been lifted. I also identified with her saying at one time she wanted God to take her. There is no hurt so deep as when you cannot help your child when you see they are on a path of destruction. But God. I still believe Paul can be forgiven, healed and saved. I will pray for him when I pray for my own children. Again I would love to correspond by mail so that I could share more of my story. If you had a post office box that would be great. I know for safety reasons you would not want to share a personal street address. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As in the above comments, "I, too, would love for the Keller family to know how inspiring their story is to me. I watch the episode of "Evil Lives Here", "Not My Son", often. Each time I'm touched and inspired by George and Margaret Keller and their devotion to their faith, family and each other. Their story speaks to many different issues and does so in many different and positive ways. They certainly took a bad situation and got the best they could out of it. Totally awe-inspiring! I know they've both passed on now, and I would bet my own soul where they went, but to any other family members who might come across this comment, your parents and their convictions and morals are outstanding in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello - I just recently read some of the more current replies and thought I would let you all know that George and Margaret Keller are still alive and living in Marysville, WA. They have a wonderful Facebook page called "George Keller Ministries" which you can like and then receive their frequent posts and new updates about the family, etc. I'm so blessed that this article has ministered to you all. To God be the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading this article, I feel compelled to share that it is full of inaccuracies and exaggerations. Paul's crisis was certainly tragic, but explainable in many ways. To define him by his acts over a year's period of time, and ignoring his life both before and after, is short sighted and unforgiving. His firesetting spree was a result of an overwhelming crisis in his life that he could not overcome by himself, and he didn't have the support he needed. The abuse Paul experienced at the hand of a volunteer firefighter lasted far more than 2 years. Since his incarceration (by the way, Clallam Bay is not in Walla Walla, is not maximum security, and is not for the criminally insane), Paul has lived an exemplary life in the very difficult society that constitutes prison life. He has worked hard to be a good citizen, help other inmates, and be a quality individual. Feedback from prison staff would indicate he is accomplishing this goal. Care should be used with any information coming from the entertainment industry. Their job is not to educate, but to draw viewership, often from sensationalism. The entire Keller family, including Paul, are good people who found themselves in the midst of a very unfortunate situation. All have paid a dear price in one way or another. But make no mistake, Paul is as deserving of your blessings and forgiveness as George and Margaret. He is not a monster nor is he evil. The same issues that shaped his life from the day he was born are shared by the many family, friends, and others that were part of his past, present, and future life.

    ReplyDelete